People who are not hypocrites have been scratching their heads over the support given to Donald Trump by evangelicals, specifically, white evangelicals. What’s up with that?
Conservatives and Republicans are hypocrites in general. They hate federal debt when a Democrat does it, but ignore it when Republicans add nearly two trillion to it by giving them an extra $20 per paycheck. They hate when a black Democrat plays golf or goes on vacation, but never mention it when their white billionaire does it ten times more often. They say foreign governments donating to Hillary Clinton’s charity is “pay for play,” but think nothing of Trump, his kids, and other assorted cohorts selling access, or even initiating a blockade of an ally where U.S. troops are based because that nation wouldn’t bail out Jared Kushner’s Fifth Avenue money pit. A Democrat paying a former British spy to research Trump is collusion with Russia because the investigator interviewed Russians, but having Russians in Trump Tower promising dirt on their opponent is no biggie.
But the evangelical support is stark hypocrisy of all they have ever stood for and preached against. These people always championed their “moral majority” and would chase a candidate out-of-town if his love for God and Jesus didn’t meet their standards. They supported impeaching Bill Clinton, not so much because he committed perjury, but what he lied about. Now, their champion is the idiot who never goes to church and says, “two Corinthians. That’s the whole ballgame,” without knowing what’s in the book.
With Donald Trump, evangelicals look past infidelities, his boasting about assaulting women, paying porn stars to keep quiet about sleeping with him, his racism, treason, self-worship to the point he refers to himself in the third person, punishing children of immigrants, attacking Gold Star families and POWs, and stiffing people who’ve worked for him. How they get beyond him wanting to date his daughter is a real mystery.
A recent poll found that support for Trump among white evangelicals is at 75%. Four in ten agreed with the statement: “There’s almost nothing President Trump could do to lose my approval.” Ron Reagan, President Reagan’s liberal son, once said he couldn’t ever run for president because this nation wouldn’t elect an atheist. It would if it was a Republican atheist who was only slightly good at faking it.
Robert Jeffress, a pastor for a megachurch in Dallas said, “Evangelicals knew they weren’t voting for an altar boy when they voted for Donald Trump.” Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, an anti-gay hate group said, “We kind of gave him—‘All right, you get a mulligan. You get a do-over here.” Far-right pastor Franklin Graham says it’s OK to support Trump because he stopped sinning once he became president. A count by the Washington Post finds that Trump has told nearly 3,000 lies since becoming president. Last I checked, lying is a sin.
Let’s look at the Ten Commandments and see how they fit Trump and his supporters.
- I am the Lord thy God, thou shall not have any gods before me. Trump worships himself and his sycophants worship him, so they’re already behind the count.
- You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything. Trump is his own idol and names buildings after himself. We’re at O for two.
- You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. Misusing the character is misusing the name. Micah 6:8 asks rhetorically, “what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” Trump doesn’t love justice, kindness, and he doesn’t walk humbly. You just struck out.
- Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Have you seen the stuff Trump Sunday tweets? Yesterday, he attacked the FBI eight times. That’s not very holy. When he’s not attacking people on the Sabbath, he’s on the golf course.
- Honor your father and your mother. Trump’s mother was an immigrant. His immigration policy is not honoring her.
- You shall not murder. Trump has not personally killed anyone that we’re aware of, but he’s advocating for the death penalty for drug dealers and his decision to move the U.S. embassy in Israel to Jerusalem literally killed people.
- You shall not commit adultery. Hoo boy.
- You shall not steal. Trump University, not paying contractors, stealing over $250,000 from his charity to settle lawsuits and purchase gifts for himself, etc. Trump is a thief.
- You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. We all know Trump’s a liar, but he doesn’t just lie about himself. He lies about others. He perpetuated the birther lie and claimed Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. As noted above, he’s told around 3,000 lies since becoming president. And to combine it with stealing, his lies and false promises of Trump University stole over $40 million from his students.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s house, wife, or property. In case you haven’t noticed, Trump is extremely jealous of Obama. You can start with the Inaugural crowd size lie. He craves the respect and accomplishments of Obama to the point that he compares everything he does to the man…and always comes up short.
According to the Bible, we’re all sinners. But it’s amazing Trump isn’t being struck by lightning on a daily basis. Trump has broken all ten of the Commandments.
Evangelicals aren’t just hypocrites to support Trump, but they’ve sold their souls for the man. All they got for it is a crappy red cap made in China.
Watch me draw.
Please consider making a donation to keep the cartoons, columns, and videos coming. Reader contributions, small and large, really do help and are appreciated in a time of dwindling revenue for political cartoonists. You will also be supporting free speech and liberty while those in power are doing all they can to suppress it. You can also support by purchasing a signed print for $40.00. Just look at the right of this page and click the PayPal button, or you can email and make other arrangements. Thank you!